Sunday, October 2, 2011

Thinking a lot about work...

Well, let me just say I'm thinking a lot about my paid work. I'm a social worker and I work in mental health. I've been drawn to social work for as long as I can remember. My passion lies with working with women who have experienced trauma as a result of some kind of abuse; I love bearing witness to the transformation women make. Watching a woman in crisis grow from being a timid wall-flower into a strong, confident power in her own right is incredible...there truly are no words to describe how wonderful it is for me to be part of that process.

As much as I love being a social worker, I've been flirting with other callings as well. For instance, as a way to deal with infertility and get a reprieve from the stress of my work, I began taking baking classes. I was there to do something completely different and was looking to have a little fun in the kitchen. Not only did I have a lot of fun, I found a passion for baking! My friend, Kathy and I, took basic baking lessons from Micheal's and it was great! We couldn't continue because between the both of us getting pregnant, neither of us had the energy to work full-time and take baking lessons at night. Kathy recently had her son...I wonder how she'll feel about returning to baking adventures a year from now...

I feel like I can't change careers right now...there are too many changes happening in my life right now to think about changing careers. And I don't know that I have enough talent to be a professional pastry chef. I do know that I'm a damn good social worker and having my own practice as a therapist has been a dream of mine for a very long time. Perhaps I need to focus on what I know and move towards being my own boss. And perhaps I could the therapist who provides nourishment for the soul and stomach :)

No comments:

Post a Comment